Flavours of Kerala – Appams and Chocolate (Syrian Christian style)
You will have a hands-on exploration of Kerala cuisine, with a visit to a spice farm that uses bio-organic techniques. You will get a chance to be in a green and pleasant environment, where you can see spices grown using natural traditional farming methods and permaculture. The hosts are very knowledgeable, and they will introduce you to the plants in their forest garden and explain the sustainable methods of growing them. You will also explore the neighbouring villages, see the pineapple market, rubber plantations and rice fields, take an auto-rickshaw ride and see other local activities. After the tour of the area, you will be introduced to the traditional Kerala kitchen.
This is an interactive, hands-on cooking session, where the ingredients and the techniques will be explained to you. Try your hand at the dishes, or just watch or both and photograph, depending on what you prefer. After the cooking session, you can enjoy a delicious lunch, and then return to your hotel or continue your journey as the place is accessible to many destinations.
Here you will experience:
- Home-made Bean to Bar Chocolate workshops. (2 night and 2 days)
- Kerala Palappam and Idiyappam
- Residential Hands-on Cooking holiday
- Kindly note the Cacao beans are locally sourced organic and single origin which is carefully fermented and dried.
- Sugar used is Coconut Blossom Sugar (subject to availability)
- Level of the program is for Hobbyists and Home makers and budding Chocolate enthusiasts using available home equipment’s
- You will also learn to cook delicious Kerala Palappam and Kerala Idiappam with suitable Vegan Curries
Itinerary of the Stay:
Check-in followed by light lunch
Training on how to make the Appam Dough
Training on how to roast the cacao beans in home style and learn how to make the cacao nibble
After dinner start to grind the cacao beans and story time.
Work on Appam Dough , Learn to temper the chocolate and pour into moulds
Make the Appam and Curries
Tour of the local attractions: the pineapple market, an old church and a bit of utility shopping
River ride along the Moovattupuzha River in a punting boat
Cooking session of the Idiappam and Curries
- One participant (occupying double room): Rs. 29500/-
- One cooking participant + one guest (sharing a double/twin bedded room): Rs. 34500/-
- Two cooking participants (sharing a double /twin bedded room): ₨. 39900/-
Prices valid upto 31st May 2020
Included in the price
- All meals
- Cooking sessions
- Bottled drinking water
- All trips and activities mentioned in the itinerary.
Excluded from the price for each course:
- Taxi fares to and from The Pimenta. Your host can arrange additional transport on request.
- Any tips or new taxes to be levied
Note: Courses start all days except Saturdays
Please note the cuisine is vegan and is offered to a maximum of 8 people. This program can be done on a demo basis to bigger groups on request as well.